Monday, April 6, 2009

Bouts of Balmainia


Balmainia is everywhere. It is almost as common as the common cold. People will spend thousands for one pair of biker jeans or over ten thousand for the embellished crystal jacket. I am admittedly a struggling member of Balmania wannabes. Every time I see Emmanuelle Alt decked out nonchalantly in Balmain my jaw drops with envy like an old cartoon character. I debate over which would be more important, my college education or that sweet sequin jacket. A few minutes later, I come back to reality and realize that I have to choose the college education, if only to supposedly make more money later and maybe even get the jacket that has the longevity of 5 minutes. I then think about how it would be if I actually had the jacket I so badly wanted in my possession. I realize how ridiculous it would be to own it. I would be walking around a small college campus in Upstate New York blinged out like Michael Jackson in the 80's. The jacket would most likely never leave my closet, as I am even too afraid to wear my Sergeant Pepper Jacket that I spontaneously found in London or my gold lace Marc dress. If I had thought any of my other articles of clothing were outlandish or ostentatious, they would seem tame by comparison. Through this thought process I overcome another bout of Balmainia and put the dream of obtaining it to rest. I am temporarily free from fashion crazes. Well that is until I see the new Nicholas Kirkwoods, now the combination of those two would be deadly.

photo from style.com

No comments: